A liberal told me yesterday that I am not as good a thinker as Barack Obama.
Perhaps that is so; perhaps it is not.
But I know this, and Barack Obama doesn’t:
(1) Keynesian economics is a great failure. Massive government spending is not the engine that drives a thriving economy, and it is not the path to prosperity. Neither is a crushing national debt.
(2) Demand-side economics does not produce goods and services in the same lush way as does supply-side economics, which means that if you want sound policy you ought to read Arthur Laffer, not J. M. Keynes.
(3) Amassing 16 trillion dollars in debt leads to credit downgrades, higher interest rates, and a lethargic marketplace characterized by reduced investment and higher unemployment, not to economic prosperity.
(4) You cannot be safe if you have porous borders. Neither can your border agents.
(5) No nation has ever been attacked because it was too strong, but many have been attacked because they were too weak and could not mount an effective defense. Peace comes through strength; weakness invites attack.
(6) We have deadly enemies who cannot be appeased. Our deadly enemies are Israel’s deadly enemies. The US and Israel, therefore, need to stand together.
(7) Ideas do not die simply because they have been refuted roundly, soundly, and repeatedly. Communism is not dead and it will not die. It simply and continually re-organizes. Vladimir Putin and his ideological allies in China and North Korea are up to no good. Never trust them to have your best interests at heart -- never.
(8) A nation that cannot or will not acknowledge God inevitably thinks that government is the highest power; that self-satisfaction is the highest good; and that self-indulgence is the best path to it.
(9) A nation that slaughters its young cannot be trusted to know the right thing or to do it. It cannot be trusted to make the heavy sacrifices necessary to maintain freedom. That nation falters because it has severed the connection between duty and liberty. Without the higher calling and higher morality that only life under God brings, nothing more profound than mere orgasm rules the citizens’ actions.
(10) Neither private virtue nor public duty has any suitable substitute. Either you do the right thing or you slide downhill. No other option exists.